1. What is Nitric Oxide?
- Nitric oxide is a small gaseous molecule also known as nitrogen monoxide, with the chemical formula NO.
- Nitric oxide is a housekeeping molecule for human cells.
- It has role in a variety of normal body functions including regulation of blood circulation, immune response, wound healing, and nervous system signaling.
- It also helps in providing protection against various pathogen including bacteria, virus, and fungus.
2. What is FabiSpray?
- FabiSpray is a Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (NONS) device, which is intended to be used for topical application i.e. nasal mucosa (inside nostrils).
- Each actuation of FabiSpray releases freshly formed Nitric Oxide spray into the nostril.
3. How FabiSpray works in COVID-19?
Nitric oxide and other content released from FabiSpray acts via various ways-
- It inhibits entry of SARS-CoV-2 into human nasal cells by inhibiting attachment of virus to the cell.
- It inhibits multiplication of virus inside the cell.
- It reduce the infectivity of the newly formed virus released from the cell.
4. How effective is the FabiSpray against in COVID-19?
- As per the laboratory study (Institute for Antiviral research, USA), FabiSpray/Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray (NONS) proven to kill 99% of SARS-Cov-2 virus including its Delta variant within 2 minutes.
- In human study (UK study), it decreased viral load of SARS-CoV-2 by 95% in a day and by 99% in 3 days. It also fastens the recovery of symptoms.
- In a study conducted in India, it decreased viral load of SARS-CoV-2 by 94% in a day and by 99% in 2 days, in high risk patients.
5. Which other viruses are covered by FabiSpray?
In addition to its anti-SARS CoV-2 activity, FabiSpray also acts against other respiratory viruses including SARS-Cov-1, H1N1, Human Rhinovirus (HRV)-14 (Common cold), and Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
11. Is FabiSpray safe for human?
- Nitric Oxide is a nano molecule that is produced naturally by our cells and it acts as a housekeeping molecule in our body.
- FabiSpray (NONS) delivers a topical, small amount of NO. The amount of nitric oxide from NONS is not enough to be absorbed systemically (bioavailability is nil) nor inhaled during NONS administration.
- During clinical study, except mild nasal discomfort, there were no major side effects occurred with the use of Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray.
12. What are the side effects of FabiSpray?
During clinical study there were no major side effects occurred with the use of Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray. Only a mild discomfort in the nose is experienced by few participants in clinical trials.
13. Who cannot use FabiSpray?
- Who has hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients.
- Children under 18 years of age, consult physician
- Pregnant or Lactating women, consult physician
6. Who can use FabiSpray?
FabiSpray is approved under emergency use authorization (EUA) for adult patients with COVID-19 who have high risk of progression of the disease.
7. What is the recommended dosage?
In patients with COVID-19 infection, a dose of 2 sprays per nostril 6 times a day for 1 week is recommended. Nasal spray is suitable for adults.
8. May I stop treatment if I no more have symptoms after a few days of treatment?
- The recommended dosage of FabiSpray for treatment of mild Covid-19 in adults is two sprays in each nostril, six times a day for 7 days.
- However, early discontinuation of treatment can be as per treating physician’s advice.
9. What happens if FabiSpray is not used as directed?
- If not used as directed intended effects of spray will not be seen.
- FabiSpray is only meant to be used as a nasal spray and should not be swallowed or sprayed in the eyes. In case it is sprayed in the eyes, rinse them with water.
- If you experience reactions such as headache, nosebleed, or persistent burning sensation, discontinue immediately. If symptoms persist, consult your physician.
10. I am fully vaccinated, so what benefit will be offered by using FabiSpray?
- FabiSpray provides protection against SARS-CoV-2 irrespective of immunization status of the person.
- As per the studies vaccinated person also can spread virus to others as he may carry SARS-CoV-2 virus in his nose. Also, vaccination does not guarantee protection against breakthrough infection.
- FabiSpray helps to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection (spread of virus from your nose to other and from other’s to inside our nose).
14. Can I take FabSpray if I am already taking other treatment for Covid-19?
- FabiSpray can be taken with other antiviral drug for Covid-19.
15. Can FabiSpray be used with other nasal products?
Yes. If concurrent use of another nasal spray is required, Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray should be reapplied afterwards so that barrier created is not disturbed.
16. Is FabiSpray a replacement for vaccination and mask?
- FabiSpray (NONS) is not a substitute to COVID-19 vaccination.
- It should be looked as a frontline protective measure along with standard of care in COVID-19.
- FabiSpray (NONS) does not replace COVID-19 appropriate behavior.
17. What precautions need to be taken with FabiSpray?
- To avoid contamination do not share Nitric Oxide Nasal Spray with other person.
- Do not use for more than indicated dosage
- Avoid contact with eye. If the spray gets into your eyes, rinse with water.
- Keep out of reach of young children.
18. Can a family member of an infected patient take Fabispray?
Yes. It can be taken by close contact of COVID-19 infected person including family member upon physician’s advice. But, one FabiSpray should be used by one person only. Sharing NONS with other person could expose them an infection.